Boxford History Project has received £62,700 from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) for 'Revealing Boxford’s Ancient Heritage': a community archaeology project. This three-year project under professional archaeological guidance will investigate three closely linked Roman sites near to Boxford village in West Berkshire. Previous work at these sites suggested Roman occupation in an area where little is known about the extent of early settlement.
The group primarily exists to promote, research and document the history of Bucklebury form the earliest times to the 21st Century and share findings with all those who are interested. We have oral recodings of memories of parishioners, and old photographs as well as the Bucklebury History database.
A group dedicated to researching and publishing information on the history of Cold Ash Parish
Email: Contact person by email
CCB (the Community Council for Berkshire) is an independent charity and Rural Community Council that works across Berkshire and the South East.
CCB is an independent, not for profit development agency, helping to build strong communities. Working in partnership with government, local authorities, private and voluntary sectors, CCB delivers a wide range of projects that have a positive and long-lasting impact on communities in the South East.
The East Garston Local History Society hears talks from third parties and members on topics of local history relating to the village, its inhabitants and the surrounding area and conducts research into those topics
The East Ilsley Local History Society has built up a varied membership base with followers as far as Lincolnshire, Aberdeen and even Australia. A detailed history of East Ilsley has been collated over a number of years and has been published into a booklet costing £2.
With a membership base of 40 people at a cost of £3 per year, it is a popular group to join. If you would like to become a member of the East Ilsley Local History Society please contact the Parish Council for further information or visit the website.
The Friends were formed in late 2009 to work with Newbury Town Council to re-open the Newtown Road cemetery in Newbury to the public. This was achieved on September 12th 2011.
The history Group are researching the histories of as many of the people buried in the cemetery as possible. If you have relatives buried there and can share some information with us, whether it is a story, historical information, military history or photographs, we would be delighted to hear from you.
Victoria Park is a small public park near to the centre of Newbury. Originally called The Marsh, it had become Victoria Park by the 1900's. The statue of Victoria which now stands in the park was moved there from the centre of the town in 1966. The Friends Group supports and promotes the park.
Email: Contact person by email
Founded in 1966, the Society is a lively group, with about 180 members. It organises a programme of monthly talks, together with outings, social events and guided walks. It holds occasional exhibitions and a regular advice ‘drop in’ session at Goring Library. The Society has a good collection of historical material in its archives and has published several booklets. The archives are open to the public by appointment. Members receive an annual journal containing a variety of short articles on topics of local interest. The Society’s oral history project aims to record the memories of local people for posterity.
The origins of the Society date back to 1958 when the Historic Commercial Vehicle Club (as it was then) was formed by a small group of enthusiasts who between them owned less than a dozen preserved commercial vehicles. Today the Society has over 3,000 members who between them own more than 7,500 vehicles such has been the growth of interest in the preservation of commercial road vehicles. Between them these portray a living history of the commercial transport scene and show the developments which have taken place since the turn of the century.