War Memorial. Constructed 1922. Architect Sir Mervyn Edmund McCartney.
Town war memorial comprising a mediaeval-style stone cross to a design by Sir Mervyn McCartney, on a stepped base. Surrounding the cross to the south and west is a stone wall separating the memorial from the churchyard of St Nicolas Church. The lower section of the wall which carries 13 bronze tablets commemorating the town’s losses in World War 1. A second, partial wall added following World War 2 holds a further 7 bronze tablets commemorating the town’s losses in that war. Iron railings complete the upper tier. Further, more recent, railings separate the east and north aspects of the memorial from Bartholomew Street and West Mills respectively.
The memorial was unveiled on 1 October 1922 by the Mayor of Newbury, Cllr George Griffin, following a service of dedication led by the Bishop of Oxford, Right Rev. Dr Hubert Murray Burge, DD, and assisted by Rev Charles Valentine Pike (Newbury Baptist Pastor) representing the local Free Church Council.
Location
Open the location with: Google Maps | Bing Maps | OpenStreetMap
